October 11, 2011

Schmooze Me Please


As I have mentioned before, I am so very lucky to be part of an artist support group. That sounded like an AA confessional, but there's something to be said about hanging out with like-minded friends. I'm part of the Midsouth region (Kentucky/Tennessee) for SCBWI, and I get to hang out with some fantastic illustrators monthly to "schmooze." We basically talk art, business, share works in progress and sometimes sketch live models.

It is glorious. I heart what I do.

Thank you universe for art fulfillment. Yay.

4 comments:

Alisha Stamper said...

oooh girl. I know just what you mean. Back in january I started meeting regularly with other females photogs who also had degrees (i.e. not faker momtogs who just bought their cameras and a bunch of "actions") and were also really into photographing with film, and it has changed my LIFE this year. I am so happy for you that you have one too (we joke and call ours a bookgroup/personal relief society except cooler? ha!). It does make a huge difference in terms of personal happiness with your own place in your art, etc.

Meridth McKean Gimbel said...

That's wonderful you have something like that too. It is definitely my warm and squishy place. I heart artists and writers. (And photography and book groups ;)

Lindsay said...

i need to find me a group like this. *sigh*

Meridth McKean Gimbel said...

Where do you live again Lindsay? I found my group from my membership in the SCBWI. (Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators - SCBWI.org) I'm actually going to a conference in a few weeks.) They are amazing and have really helped me with creative stuff and businessy stuff.

But as a side not... if you ever ever ever want a critique partner in crime you can always send me an email. I'm always looking for creative/critical friends.

Anyway... this is a long reply. Mostly because I like you. A lot.