January 30, 2014

Book Look - Flora & Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures by Kate DiCamillo and illustrated by KG Campbell


So on Monday Kate DiCamillo won her second Newbery for Flora & Ulysses. She has written so many books that I absolutely ADORE.  Some the books that really delight me are: The Tale of Despereaux,(her first Newbery), Bink and Gollie,and The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane.(Between you and me and the blogosphere my husband weeps like a baby whenever he reads Edward Tulane.)

                

Basically DiCamillo is one of my favorite children's authors. Period. But if you were to ask me if I'd like to read a Middle Grade story of a disgruntled girl with a pet squirrel that was part superhero, part poet, I would say,"Yes Please."



 This is a wacky story, with the most bizarre cast of characters. At times this book was laugh out loud funny, and the scenarios were so outlandish. Flying squirrels, lonely squid portraits... It was so wonderfully strange. But Despite all the oddness, this book really had depth that was a bit unexpected, but so very refreshing.

It was a delight to read this book. I totally zipped through it. I wholeheartedly endorse this book. But you needn't listen to me. Listen to the Newbery ;)








No comments: